The following are just some of the accomplishments of theBurnaby ECD Coalition Table.
Projects Accomplished To-Date:
- Developed a 5-year Strategic Action Plan aimed at local community action.
- Applied and received federal funding for the Understanding the Early Years Initiative, a 3-year Early Childhood Development research and capacity-building initiative.
- Targeted a neighbourhood project in the Edmonds/12th Avenue Neighbourhood to help families learn about and access neighbourhood resources and supports. Developed a Neighbourhood ECD Asset Map to distribute to families through community organizations, service providers, building managers, and faith organizations.
- Published community brochures and parenting articles in several newspapers in a variety of languages, including English, Korean, Chinese and Farsi.
- Developed an Early Childhood Development Hub at Lochdale Community School with funding received funding from the Ministry for Children and Family Development. Current programs include a Kindercare (South Burnaby Neighbourhood House) and recreation programs (Burnaby Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services).
- Distributed Early Childhood Development funds to various programs in Burnaby including Mother Goose, Family Literacy Centres, Family Drop-Ins, Story Times, and Multilingual calendars in collaboration with United Way- Success by Six.
- Developed a website to promote the ECD Community Table and Early Childhood Development activities in Burnaby.
Past and Present Activities:
- Collect and disseminate current research (i.e. EDI, demographic, child care)
- Further development of promotional materials for families in the 12th Avenue/Edmonds neighbourhood.
- Establish a Windsor drop-in program.
- Continue the translation of articles and resources materials to allow all Burnaby residents to access ECD services and programs.
- Develope a brochure and flyers to promote the ECD Community Table and Early Childhood Development activities in Burnaby.
- Ongoing development of the ECD Hub at Lochdale Community School.
- Training for ECD workers in diversity issues and logic models.
- Continue to set priorities and allocate Early Childhood Development funds in Burnaby.