The following are just some of the accomplishments of the Burnaby ECD Coalition Table;
Projects Accomplished to date:
- Developed a 5-year Strategic Action Plan aimed at local community action.
- Applied and received federal funding for the Understanding the Early Years Initiative, a 3-year Early Childhood Development research and capacity-building initiative.
- Targeted a neighbourhood project in the Edmonds/12th Avenue Neighbourhood to help families learn about and access neighbourhood resources and supports. Developed a Neighbourhood ECD Asset Map to distribute to families through community organizations, service providers, building managers, and faith organizations.
- Published community brochures and parenting articles in several newspapers in a variety of languages, including English, Korean, Chinese and Farsi.
- Developed an Early Childhood Development Hub at Lochdale Community School with funding received funding from the Ministry for Children and Family Development. Current programs include a Kindercare (South Burnaby Neighbourhood House) and recreation programs (Burnaby Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services).
- Distributed Early Childhood Development funds to various programs in Burnaby including Mother Goose, Family Literacy Centres, Family Drop-Ins, Story Times, and Multilingual calendars in collaboration with United Way- Success by Six.
Past and Present Activities
- Support the Understanding the Early Years Initiative (including the EDI and PIDACS) data collections.
- Further development of promotional materials for families in the 12th Avenue/Edmonds neighbourhood
- Target another Burnaby neighbourhood for another neighbourhood project
- Continue the ongoing translation of articles and resources materials to allow all Burnaby residents to access ECD services and programs.
- Develop a website, brochure and flyers to promote the ECD Community Table and Early Childhood Development activities in Burnaby
- Ongoing development of the ECD Hub at Lochdale Community School.
- Training for ECD workers in diversity issues (2007) and the Nipissing Screening tool (2008).
- Continue to set priorities and allocate Early Childhood Development funds in Burnaby.