The Burnaby ECD Community Table, initially called Children First, is a committee established in September 2003, with funding from the Ministry of Child and Family Development (MCFD). The funds were used to develop an ECD Strategic Action Plan for Burnaby.
Membership was solicited through the Burnaby Inter-Agency Council, a network of Burnaby service providers who have been meeting bi-monthly for over 30 years. The ECD Community Table was created as a sub-committee of the Council. ECD continues to be a standing agenda item at each Inter-Agency Council meeting.
Today, the Burnaby ECD Community Table consists of a group of over 90 representatives from government and non-profit community agencies providing programs and services to children from birth to age 6. Members of the Table continue to work hard to implement the goals and objectives of the Strategic Action Plan. The Table has actions teams working on projects related to training, funding, advocacy, neighbourhood-based resource development, and business and community engagement. Recruitment of new members to the Burnaby ECD Community Table is ongoing.
Who We Are
The Burnaby Early Childhood Development Community Table is an intersectoral committee that is comprised of key stake holders in the ECD community in Burnaby.
Burnaby Early Childhood Development Community Table is made up of individuals in Burnaby who are interested in supporting families with children in the early years (birth to age 6). Members include representatives from provincial ministries, the municipality, health region, school district, and non-profit agencies. The Community Table shares information and sets priorities for programs and services.
What We Do
The Burnaby ECD Community Table is committed to supporting and planning ECD programs and services that:
- Recognizes, respects, and promotes the strengths of families and individuals;
- Builds on existing formal and informal supports (informal means other community supports outside of traditional ECD programs/services i.e. safe places to take our children or places for opportunities to learn, etc.);
- Focuses on early intervention;
- Includes accessible, universal, and integrated services;
- Recognizes and values the diversity of the Burnaby community.
- Strengths-Based Approaches
- Best Practices
- Members of the Burnaby Early Childhood Development Community Table are dedicated individuals representing agencies that work diligently to support and enhance services, programs and learning opportunities for families with children in the early years (Birth to age 6) in Burnaby.
Meetings and Action Teams
The Burnaby Early Childhood Development Community Table meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. The Table has action teams who meet regularly to work on various projects. The actions teams include the following:
- The Funding Action Team – Coordinates funding and decision making in relation to ECD funding in Burnaby and ensures that funding allocations are consistent with the ECD strategic plan and priorities.
- The Communication Action Team – Plans, develops and oversees activities and materials related to increasing education and awareness of early childhood development.
- The Neighbourhood Action Team – Works with identified neighbourhoods and communities to assist in strengthening the existing resources and supports for young children and their families. Provides information that will assist the Table in planning and coordinating service for 0-6 years.4.
- The Child Care Action Team – Works to enhance education and awareness around child care.
Projects Accomplished To-Date
- Developed a 5-year Strategic Action Plan aimed at local community action.
- Targeted a neighbourhood project in the Edmonds/12th Avenue and Windsor neighbourhoods to help families learn about and access neighbourhood resources and supports. Developed a Neighbourhood ECD Asset Map to distribute to families through community organizations, service providers, building managers, and faith organizations.
- Published community brochures and parenting articles in several newspapers in a variety of languages, including English, Korean, Chinese and Farsi.
- Developed an Early Childhood Development Hub at Lochdale Community School with funding received funding from the Ministry for Children and Family Development. Current programs include a Kindercare (South Burnaby Neighbourhood House) and recreation programs (Burnaby Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services).
- Distributed Early Childhood Development funds to various programs in Burnaby including Mother Goose, Family Literacy Centres, Family Drop-Ins, Story Times, and Multilingual calendars in collaboration with United Way.
- Developed a website, Facebook page, brochure and flyers to promote the ECD Community Table and Early Childhood Development activities in Burnaby.
Past and Present Activities
- Further develop promotional materials for families in the 12th Avenue/Edmonds neighbourhood
- Target Burnaby neighbourhood for another neighbourhood project
- Continue the ongoing translation of articles and resources materials to allow all Burnaby residents to access ECD services and programs.
- Ongoing development of the ECD Hub at Lochdale Community School.
- Developing communications and marketing materials.
- Planning Play to Learn! what is to be, an annual February event.
- Continue to set priorities and allocate Early Childhood Development funds in Burnaby.
How are you funded?
The Burnaby ECD Community Table gratefully acknowledges funding from:
BC Ministry for Children and Family Development:
Make Children First which funds the following activities in Burnaby:
- Mother Goose Drop-In Programs
- Nobody’s Perfect Programs
- Training for Early Childhood Development Workers
- Family Literacy Centres
- ECD Community Table Activities
Success by Six which funds the following activities in Burnaby:
- Five family drop-ins and a preschool program.
- Parent-tot attachment groups
- Early and family literacy programs
- Father’s groups
- New immigrant parenting groups.
- Neighbourhood Outreach Workers
- The provision of ECD services in non-traditional hours and on non-traditional days, including weekends/after school/evening and summer days and hours.
- The translation of ECD resource and materials
How to join?
To participate in our meetings please contact Kamala Sproule at email@example.com
Who are your members?
The following agencies are represented at the Burnaby Early Childhood Development Community Table.
- Aboriginal Infant Development Program
- BC Association for Community Education
- Burnaby Association for Community Inclusion
- BC Centre for Ability
- Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver
- Boys and Girls Clubs of South Coast BC
- Burnaby Community Connections
- Burnaby Family Life
- Burnaby Hospice Society
- Burnaby-Deer Lake MLA – Kathy Corrigan
- Burnaby-Edmonds MLA – Raj Chouhan
- Burnaby – North MLA – Richard Lee
- Burnaby Literacy Now
- Burnaby Neighbourhood House
- Burnaby Pacific Grace Church
- Burnaby Public Library
- Burnaby School District #41
- Cameray Child and Family Services
- Canadian Outcomes Research Centre
- Canadian Red Cross
- Chinese Christian Mission
- City of Burnaby – Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services
- City of Burnaby – Social Planning
- Community Living BC
- Deaf Children’s Society of BC
- Down Syndrome Research Foundation
- East Burnaby Family Place
- Elizabeth Fry Society
- Family Services of Greater Vancouver
- Fraser Health
- Health Canada
- Immigrant Service Society of BC
- Infant Development Program of BC
- Information Children
- The Lower Mainland Purpose Society
- Dixon Transition House Society
- Ministry for Children and Family Development
- Newcomer’s Centre
- Parent Support Services – Boys and Girls Clubs of BC (north Burnaby location)
- REACH Community Health Centre
- Simon Fraser University Child Care Society
- Spirit of the Children Society
- St. Leonard’s Youth and Family Services Society
- St. Matthew Day Care Society
- United Way of the Lower Mainland & Success by 6
- Vancouver & Lower Mainland Multicultural Family Support Services Society
- YMCA Child Care Resource and Referral
- YMCA of Greater Vancouver